University of Leicester
10. April 2015
Stichtag: 17. November 2014
This one-day symposium aims to bring the fields of comics and adaptation studies into critical dialogue, and to provide an academic context for the discussion of adaptation from, and into, comics in the European context, including but not limited to France and Belgium, Italy, the United Kingdom, Germany, and the Iberian Peninsula.
Topics could include, but are not limited to:
- Case studies exploring adaptation from/into comics (into/from live-action film, animation, literature, but also less studied media such TV, radio, or video game) within a national context or across European national contexts, within the same era/through time.
- Comics adaptation within the cultural industry.
- Adaptation from/into comics as a genre (e.g. collections such as Fétiche devoted to comics adaptation of literary works).
- Comparison between comics and adaptation in the European and in the US contexts.
- Authorship in comics adaptation.
- Serial and multi-modal characters.
- The adaptation of the medium of comics to new formats (e.g. digital comics).
- Broader theoretical and methodological approaches to adaptation from/into comics.
We invite proposals for 20-minute papers in English. Please send your abstract of no more than 300 words by 17 November 2014 to Dr Armelle Blin-Rolland. We intend to publish a selection of the papers as an edited collection or journal special issue.