Coeditors: Michael Goodrum, Tara Prescott, and Philip Smith
Seeking abstracts for an upcoming essay collection on comics, gender, and superhero narratives. We seek essays on the creators, characters, readers, and fan communities who engage with questions of gender and the superhero.
We are interested not only in the present controversies and debates on gender and the superhero genre, but also in the question of how we got here. Possible topics might include:
- Reading the Superbody
- Superhero merchandising and other paratexts
- Reactions to the introduction of a female Thor
- GamerGate and the Superhero
- LGBTQI representation in Comics
- Ms Marvel
- Fan communities “writing back”
- International and non-anglophone Superheroes
Please direct any questions and 500-600 word proposals to email@example.com by December 30, 2015.
Final pieces will be 10,000 words.
View further details on MLA Commons: https://genderandsuperheroes.commons.mla.org/
or the book’s Facebook page: