the Fifth Euroacademia Forum of Critical Studies
11 and 12 November 2016
Deadline for Paper Proposals: 9th of September 2016
“Comics are just words and images. You can do anything with words and images.” Harvey Pekar
The phenomenon known as comics, bandes dessinées, graphic story or fumetti was first defined as sequential art by Will Eisner in his work Comics and Sequential Art (1985). Further inquiries were led by Scott Mc Cloud (Understanding Comics) or Benoît Peeters (Lire la bande dessinée) in trying to establish a theoretical framework for this mean of expression. After a long period of being perceived as a childish form of entertainment, nowadays the sequential art is a well-known and respected form of art and it has even became the field of academic research.
This panel aims to feature the transdisciplinarity of its subjects and its methods, to bring together different ways of approaches, and to highlight its numerous possibilities of cultural dialogue.
The panel welcomes contributions regarding the following topics, but any other paper or subject related to sequential art are most appreciated:
- Mainstream, independent and underground comics traditions
- How comics have been a way of expression to social and historical subjects
- Theoretical and critical approaches of comics
- Otherness in comics: depiction of exotic places and alterity
- The Superhero prototype: a way of understanding the American way of life?
- The Space In Between. On Time and Space in comics. Phenomenological interpretations
- The connection between comics and architecture: François Schuiten – Les cités obscures
- Comics versus Movies
If interested to apply, please see first the full details of the conference at http://euroacademia.eu/conference/fifth-forum-critical-studies/
You can apply online on the conference website or by sending 300 words abstract together with the details of affiliation until 9th of September 2016 at firstname.lastname@example.org