July 31 - August 5, 2017
Academic publications and activities related to the study of graphic narratives have increased substantially in both quantity and quality since the 2000s. Nevertheless, much scholarship in this field is still shaped by national perspectives and research traditions (e.g. U.S. American comic strips, bandes dessinées from France/Belgium, Japanese manga etc.). The transnational analysis of graphic narrative as pursued in this Summer School does not seek to supplant such nationally and linguistically specific approaches. Rather, it aims to build upon them in order to study the multidimensional and increasingly global practices of production and reception of graphic narratives without neglecting the continuing significance of the national as a reference point for diverse acts of cultural self-description and meaning-making.
The Summer School will take place at the University of Siegen between 31 July and 5 August 2017. Formats include keynote lectures, project presentations by the participants, seminar sessions, round-table discussions, and a workshop with a cartoonist. The overall aim is to encourage interdisciplinary exchange and foster scholarly interaction between junior researchers (doctoral and postdoctoral researchers from all countries) and senior scholars. Confirmed guests (keynote lectures, direction of seminars, and other forms of involvement) include:
- Astrid Böger (University of Hamburg)
- Casey Brienza (City, University of London)
- Michael Chaney (Dartmouth College)
- Stephan Packard (University of Freiburg)
- Bernd Dolle-Weinkauff (Goethe University Frankfurt)
- Jared Gardner (Ohio State University)
- Fifi Mukuna (illustrator and bande dessinée author)
We invite applications from excellent doctoral and postdoctoral researchers from all over the world, whose research addresses any aspect of transnationalism concerning graphic narratives. Applications from the fields of literary, cultural, film and media studies, history, the social sciences (social anthropology, geography, etc.) and beyond are encouraged. Applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 March 2017.
Applications (one PDF) should include:
- A brief letter of motivation (1 page)
- A description (3-5 pages) of a current or planned doctoral/postdoctoral research project that contributes to the study of transnational graphic narratives
- A short CV
We have been successful in securing generous funding by the Volks wagen Foundation.This means that there is no participation fee and that we can cover the following costs for participants of the Summer School:
- Board and lodging (full coverage)
- Travel stipends of max. EUR 800 per participant. While we cannot cover co-travelling family members’ expenses, we are committed to (co)organizing and (co)funding childcare if required.
Our goal is to achieve a well-balanced gender ratio; female scholars are particularly encouraged to apply.
For further queries, please contact the organizers via email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com. Permanent URL to this CfA: www.uni-siegen.de/phil/transnationalgraphicnarratives/