Leeds Central Library
September 20 - 21, 2018
Comics Forum 2018 is the tenth anniversary of the annual conference series. To celebrate this milestone, we invite scholars from around the world to join us for a two-day series of talks looking back at the subjects Comics Forum has focused on over the past decade and considering how they have changed and developed. We are now open to submissions on any of the following themes, reflecting the topics from previous years’ events (please indicate which theme you are addressing when you submit your abstract):
• Genre (2016)
• Graphic Medicine: Visualizing the Stigma of Illness (2011)1
• Materiality and Virtuality (2011)
• Multiculturalism and Representation (2012)
• Politics (2015)
• Possibilities and Perspectives (2009)
• Sculpture and Comic Art (2011)2
• Small Press and Undergrounds (2013)
• Space (2017)
• Theory and Practice (2010)
• Violence (2014)
• Women in Comics (2010)3
Submissions will be considered in any of the following three formats (please indicate which you are proposing when you submit your abstract):
- Paper: 15-minute paper on a focused topic.
- Panel: 1 hour structured discussion between three or more participants (N.B.: this should be a coherent
unit, not simply a collection of three or four papers).
- Workshop: 1 hour interactive, collaborative session aimed at producing outputs to be published on comicsforum.org.
Proposals of up to 250 words in length are now being accepted at the following link: http://bit.ly/comicsforum2018 The deadline for submissions is the 2nd of July and you will be notified of acceptance by or before the 30th of July. Please include a short (100 word) biography of your speaker(s) with your proposal.
We look forward to welcoming you to Leeds!