June 2-5, 2021
The Gender Studies area of the Popular Culture Association is considering proposals for papers and/or panels that explore the intersection of gender and popular culture. Topics could include, but are not limited to, the representation of gender identity and gender expression within popular culture, the use of gendered appeals in advertising, the potential of popular culture to educate audiences about diversity, equity, and inclusion, the role of gender in the 2020 election cycle, and the use of gender studies terminology within popular media.
Sessions are scheduled in 90-minute slots, typically with four papers or speakers. Presentations should not exceed 15 minutes.
Individuals must be current, paid members to submit to the conference.
Proposals for paper presentations require a 150-200 word abstract.
For panels (4-5 presenters), individual prsenters should submit an abstract of 150-200 words for their own paper, and the panel chair should contact Dr. O’Reilly to assemble the papers into a panel and provide a brief description of the panel’s focus.
To submit a proposal for a paper presentation or a panel, go to http://conference.pcaaca.org and follow the instructions for creating an account (or logging in to an existing account) and completing your submission. Submissions will only be accepted through the PCA website.
The deadline for submissions is November 16, 2020.
For inquiries, contact:
Julie D. O’Reilly
310 E. Market St.
Tiffin, OH 44883
Key dates and other information
- 12 August – Database Opens for Submissions
- 12 October – Early Bird Registration Opens
- 16 November – Deadline for Paper Proposals and Endowment Grants
- 31 December – Early Bird Registration Rate Ends
- 1 January, 2021 – Regular Registration Begins
- 31 January – Regular Registration Ends
- 1 February – Late Registration Begins
- 1 February – Preliminary Program Available
- 28 February – Late Registration Ends: Participants Not Registered Removed from Program at end of the day
- 1 March – Non-presenters Registration opens
- 2 – 5 June 2021 – National Conference in Boston
All presenters must be current, paid members of the PCA and fully registered for the conference.