Arab American National Museum, Dearborn, Michigan
October 13, 2018
The goal of this conference:
ComiqueCon is a one-day celebration of the amazing work of female and non-binary comic creators. Join us in Metro Detroit for this one-of-a-kind event, and check out our featured guests, awesome sponsors, and talented exhibitors!
This year’s ComiqueCon will include an academic track with paper presentations and workshops related to the general theme of women in comics. Papers should be accessible to a general audience; please be sure to define your terms and give context for any theoretical or discipline- specific arguments you reference.
Topics might include the following:
- Comics, graphic novels, sequential art, manga and feminist theory
- Women in the comics industry – writers, artists, editors, shop owners, etc.
- Intersectional identities in comics and graphic novels
- The comics industry and #MeToo, #Comicsgate, and sexual harassment culture
- Representation of women in comics and related texts – superhero films, action figures,
merchandise, promotional materials, etc.
- Queer representations of women in comics
- Representation of motherhood and maternity in comics
- Genre-specific representations of women (in romance comics as compared to action comics, for example)
Paper Proposals: Paper proposals must include an abstract of 300-500 words and an author biography of 100 words or less. Pre-constituted panels of three to four presenters are also welcome, and should include, in addition to individual paper abstracts and biographies, a 150-200 word panel proposal that details the way the papers connect together and how the panel will engage with the conference theme.
Workshops: Workshops may have up to three facilitators. Workshop proposals must include a brief explanation of topic (250-500 words), a list of facilitators, and a biography of 100 words or less for each facilitator. Workshop proposals should be skill-focused and can be: creative (making comics, zines, fan art, etc.) or pedagogy-oriented (how to teach with comics, etc.).
Due Date: July 31, 2018
Presenters will be notified of acceptance into the conference via email by August 17, 2018. All inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.